Bucharest Bar (admitted 1998)
Dan is an Of Counsel with over 16 years of experience as a competition and corporate/M&A lawyer.
His competition experience is unique in Romania. He has extensive merger control experience, ranging from the construction materials and audiovisual sectors to fast moving consumer goods and advertising, and regularly advises clients on antitrust compliance matters, cartel investigations and dominance. In doing so, he routinely participates in hearings at the Competition Council and assists clients during dawn raids and other investigations. Dan began his legal career at the Competition Council.
On the Corporate/M&A side, he has participated as lead lawyer on several merger and acquisition transactions in Romania, on both the buy and sale side, with a total value in the hundreds of millions of EUR over the years. He is responsible for coordination of due diligence efforts and identify red-flag issues and remedies to clients, primary drafting supervision and negotiation of transaction documents, and related merger control notifications.
He is also the go-to person for numerous clients on various commercial matters where his experience and drafting efficiency is appreciated.
Outside the office, Dan enjoys rock concerts and gardening.
• Assisted Coats plc, a leading global textiles producer (instructed by a major international firm) in the sale of its Romanian Crafts division to Aurelius Group, the listed mid-market pan-European investor;
• Assisted shareholder of Comfert SRL, leading Romanian company on the agrobusiness market, in a complicated restructuring including bank negotiation and spin-off of real estate assets and sale of agrobusiness to Origin Enterprises PLC;
• Lead lawyer for Romanian subsidiary of global cement producer Holcim with landmark court proceedings aimed at challenging merger control clearance benefiting a supplier and competitor;
• Assisting and representing leading domestic DIY chain in its endeavors to reverse Romanian antitrust agency's statement of objections and proposed fines;
• Assisted and represented Romanian subsidiary of Austrian-based construction company in connection with Romanian antitrust agency dawn raid and ensuing antitrust investigation;
• Assisted JTI's Romanian subsidiary (both manufacture and sales arms) in connection with Romanian antitrust agency dawn raid and ensuring investigation;
• Assisted Romanian owner on sale-side mandate for selling a airport ground handling operator;
• Assisting and representing leading, US-based multinational energy company with regard to Romanian antitrust law matters;
• Lead counsel to, and representation of, global manufacturer of industrial goods with regard to leniency matters under Romanian antitrust law and interplay with EU Commission's leniency program;
• Assisted leading global manufacturer of dairy products Bongrain SAS in its acquisition of Delaco SA, a Romanian distributor and private label supplier, including with obtaining merger control clearance;
• Assisted Publicis Groupe in its acquisition of leading Romanian media services agency, including with obtaining merger control clearance;
• Assisted local gas supplier and distributor Wirom (a GDF and WIEE Romanian venture) in connection with Romanian antitrust agency dawn raid and ensuing antitrust investigation.
• Partner, Romanian law partnership (2005-2008)
• Senior Associate, Salans (formerly Altheimer & Gray) (2002-2005)
• Associate, Vitzman & Asociatii SCPA (1999-2002)
• Inspector at the Competition Council of Romania (1997-1998)
University of Bucharest, Faculty of Law (Law Degree, 1997)
• Co-author (with Gelu Goran and Răzvan Bardicea) of the analysis article “Romania's Leniency Programme: Critical Overview” (2013), published online by Practical Law Company at: Romania's Leniency Programme
• Co-author (with Gelu Goran) of “Cartel Enforcement – Romania”, published in Cartel Enforcement Worldwide, by CMP Publishing Ltd (2011)