Bucharest Bar (admitted as
foreign lawyer, 2004)
New York Bar (admitted 2002)
United States District Court for the
Northern District of Illinois (2003)
A founding partner of Biriş Goran, Victor is the firm's co-managing partner and heads the firm’s highly touted real estate practice. A native English speaker born and raised in Canada of Romanian immigrant parents, Victor focuses on all aspects of real estate transactions in Romania and other countries in the region for a range of international investment funds and local developers.
Under his watch, Biriş Goran’s real estate practice has won numerous awards from various publications and Biriş Goran receives routine ranking among the top law firms in Romania when it comes to real estate on an annual basis.
Victor himself was ranked by Chambers Europe in the last three years in the "Band 1" category, thereby placing him as one of the top 3 real estate lawyers in the country, and noting: “Department head Victor Constantinescu comes highly recommended for his commercial and precise advice. Sources also highlight his flexibility and international experience”.
He manages key real estate clients of the firm, particularly institutional and high-net-worth funds. He is particularly skilled in organizing transactions so that deadlines are met, "institutional" and English-language standards are maintained, and resources are allocated efficiently to meet required budgets. While specializing in joint ventures for commercial property development, his experience extends to development, asset, and property management matters as well as acquisitions and exits.
In addition, his practice extends beyond Romania’s borders, as he has recently acted on an acquisition in Ukraine and as general counsel on the establishment of a retail development platform in Russia. In all cases, he had primary negotiation and transaction document responsibility and coordination with local counsel.
Because of his background and skill set, he has been asked to serve on the boards of various real estate companies in the past. As a related practice, he has also advised multinationals on anti-bribery compliance, including conducting audits for U.S. FCPA purposes.
Before founding Biriş Goran in 2006, Victor worked for Salans in its Bucharest and Shanghai offices from 2003 and in Chicago for Altheimer & Gray from 2001 to 2003.
Outside the office, Victor enjoys sports, following the Ottawa Senators hockey team, jazz concerts, and spending time with family and friends. He founded the University of Pennsylvania alumni club in Romania, which he currently chairs. He is also vice-president of the Romanian-South African Business Association.
• Assisting Raiffeisen Evolution as primary transaction counsel in the sale of its flagship shopping centre, Promenada Mall, in the largest real estate transaction on the Romanian market in 2014.
• Assisting Aberdeen Property Investors, a leading European real estate investment fund, on its assets in Romania including the Iris Auchan Shopping Mall and Phoenix Tower in Bucharest, on various matters.
• Various strategic advice to high-net-worth individuals on their investments in Romania.
• Assisting Vastint, a real estate development company part of the Inter IKEA Group, on its development projects in Romania.
• Assisting Europa Capital, a major investment fund manager part of the Mitsubishi Estate Co., Ltd., in the acquisition of numerous development projects as well ongoing advice on its industrial park in Turda, Cluj County, Romania.
• Anually since 2013 Chambers Europe has ranked Victor as a “Highly Recommended” lawyer for Real Estate in Romania. Annually since 2007 until 2012, Chambers Europe ranked Victor as a “Recommended” lawyer in Real Estate in Romania.
• The Chambers Europe and European Legal500 rank Biriş Goran’s real estate practice among the top practices in Romania since its founding.
• Salans Bucharest and Shanghai offices (2003 – 2006)
• Altheimer & Gray Chicago (2001 – 2003)
• McGill University, Faculty of Law, Montreal, Quebec, Canada (common law (LL.B.) and civil law (B.C.L.) degrees, with honours, 2001)
• University of Toronto, Centre for Russian and East European Studies, Toronto, Ontario, Canada (M.A., 2001)
• University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (B.A. International Relations, cum laude, 1996)
• London School of Economics and Political Science, London, United Kingdom (General Course, 1994 - 1995)
Various articles and book reviews published in legal and academic journals