'' '' '' ''
Bucharest Bar (registered 2003)
Quebec Bar (admitted 1995)
Finance & Restructuring
Christian joined Biriş Goran in 2007 and currently heads the firm’s Finance and Restructuring practice and co-heads the Corporate/M&A groups. His skill set comprising experience, language capabilities and experience with international firms is unparalleled in Romania. He represents both domestic and foreign capital market participants in all aspects of M&A and corporate finance activity and his clients range from start-up enterprises to some of the world's leading public companies. Christian also regularly acts for arrangers, borrowers and sponsors on a wide range of financing transactions, including syndicated and club deals, with an emphasis on acquisition, real estate and project finance.
Over the past 21 years, Christian provided strategic counsel in all aspects of local and cross-border M&A, including negotiated acquisitions, divestitures and joint ventures in various industries including banking & finance, IP/IT, energy, transportation, consumer goods, to name a few.
He has acted as counsel on the occasion of the first syndicated facility governed by Romanian law without a state guarantee and has advised the lead arranger and the lenders on one of the first LBO financing in Romania. He also has substantial experience acting for bidders on a wide range of domestic and cross-border merger and acquisition deals, including privatisation transactions (he acted as counsel for purchasers/bidders in the privatization of Distrigaz Nord, BCR, and Electrica Muntenia Sud).
Before joining Biriş Goran, Christian worked in Montréal for Fasken Martineau, a top-tier Canadian law firm and then as senior associate and transaction leader for Gide Loyrette Nouel in its Paris and Bucharest offices. Christian was raised and educated in Canada and the United States, and speaks fluently French, English and Romanian.
Outside the office, Christian enjoys following football (soccer), having been a professional goalkeeper himself prior to law, as well as skiing, travelling and cooking.
• Assisted One United Properties, leading Romanian high end residential developer, in a 20 million Euros bonds issuance through private placement, maturing at 4 years. The bonds provide liquidity for new residential developments;
• Assisted Atos, a French multinational IT services corporation (instructed by a major international firm) in the acquisition of Xerox’s IT outsourcing operations, a deal worth more than USD 1 billion, on the Romanian aspects of the transaction;
• Assisted Coats plc, a leading global textiles producer (instructed by a major international firm) in the sale of its Romanian Crafts division to Aurelius Group, the listed mid-market pan-European investor;
• Assisted the shareholder of Comfert SRL, a leading Romanian company on the agrobusiness market, in a restructuring including bank negotiation with seven banks, spin-off of real estate assets and sale of agrobusiness to Origin Enterprises PLC;
• Assisted a German private equity fund as regards a private equity cross border investment (Germany, Romania, Sweden, USA) in an independent IT services group, delivering an extensive portfolio of customised software solutions;
• Assisted EU-based Savencia, a leading international player in the milk processing sector listed on the Euronext Paris exchange, in the acquisition of a controlling interest in Delaco Distribution, one of Romania’s main dairy supplier;
• The founders and main shareholders of Kamino Cargo with respect to sale of their participation to Menzies Aviation (www.menziesaviation.com);
• The sellers of Upground in the indirect (share deal) forward sale of a real estate development to RREEF (approximately EUR 340 million) in the largest real estate transaction in Romania to date;
• Assisted Adval Asset Management as regards a work out concerning a loan for an amount of Euro 31 million granted by Alpha Bank and as regards the restructuring of Euro 15 million loans granted by Bank of Cyprus;
• Assisted Treetops Capital Partners, a US fund in relation to a USD 10 million loan granted to it by OPIC, the U.S. Government’s development finance institution;
• Assisted Liebrecht & Wood, a major developer with an array of projects developed in CEE in the last 20 years, as regards the restructuring of a Euro 20 million loan granted to it by a foreign bank for construction, development, management, operation and maintenance of the “West Park” project, located in Domnesti, Romania, as well as additional financing, including cross-border share capital increase operations;
• Assisted Portico Investments Limited for a loan worth Euro 75 million from ING Lease to refinance the company's investments in Hungary, Czech Republic and Romania.
• Senior Foreign Associate, Gide Loyrette Nouel, Paris & Bucharest Offices (2001 - 2007)
• Associate, Fasken Martineau, Montréal, Quebec, Canada (1995 - 2001)
• University of Montréal, Faculty of Law, Montréal, Canada (Law Degree, 1993)
• University of Hartford, Hartford, Connecticut, USA (B.Sc. Business Administration, 1989)
• “The New Civil Code, Personal Guarantees, a Comparative Law Approach” Bucharest, Romania (October 2011);
• “IT Start-ups: How To”, Bucharest, Romania, conference coordinator, (September 2009);