Bucharest Bar (admitted 2004)
Competition / Antitrust
Mihai Nuşcă joined Biriş Goran in 2009 and heads the Litigation Practice since May 2012. Early 2014 he became a Partner. Mihai has 16 years’ industry experience across the full spectrum of litigation matters, including arbitration under ICSID and ICC rules, especially regarding tax, competition and commercial matters. He is known for his innovative approach, especially in tax litigation files.
He regularly leads on some of the market’s most ground-breaking and pioneering litigation, include outcomes which result in industry and legislative change. He is sought out by clients across a wide variety of sectors, including telecom, FMCG, energy, oil & gas, communications, cosmetics, but primarily in energy and telecoms for his in-depth expertise and deep understanding of tax and regulatory law.
In the past, he was involved in legislative drafting involving casino and gaming as well as agricultural legislation.
Outside the office, he enjoys lecturing to students at his alma mater and the occasional game of chess.
• Successfully represented Impuls Leasing Romania in a tax dispute where the High Court of Cassation ordered the General Administration of Large Taxpayers to pay our client record compensations of approximately 1.7 million EUR for mismanagement of VAT reimbursements. The decision is definitive.
• Assisting Banca Comercială Română, a member of Erste Group, in the biggest tax dispute pending in the Romania’s market;
• Successfully represented Farmec, the largest cosmetics manufacturer in Romania, in a complex tax litigation case triggered by a tax decision issued by the tax authorities. Recently, our team obtained the annulment of a taxation decision of approximately EUR 15 million and the decision is definitive;
• Successfully represented Donalam, local subsidiary of AFV Beltrame Group, leading European manufacturer of merchant bars and special profiles for construction, shipbuilding and excavation, in a tax dispute and obtained the largest compensation amounts asked to the Romanian tax authorities.
• Partner, Biris Goran SPARL (2014 – present)
• Senior Associate, Biris Goran SCPA (2009 - 2013)
• Co-founding Partner, Mircea & Asociatii (2006 - 2008)
• Founder, Mihai Nusca Law Office
• University of Craiova, Faculty of Law (Law Degree, 2002)