Gabriel is a founding partner of BirișGoran and is widely regarded as one of the leading tax experts in the country.
Gabriel has over 27 years of experience in Romanian tax matters, having advised clients on complex tax litigation, compliance and structuring issues. He is well-known in the Romanian media for his tireless advocacy for meaningful tax reform to assist the business environment in Romania.
Between December 2015 and September 2016, Gabriel was Secretary of State in the Romanian Ministry of Finance, in charge of tax legislation. He represented Romania at the First Inclusive Framework of OECD’s Anti-Beps Plan in Kyoto, Japan, in June 2016. During his mandate, he also promoted a future of VAT based on reverse charge with the European Commission.
Gabriel currently represents BirișGoran as the only Romanian member in the VAT Expert Group set up by the European Commission – The General Directorate for Taxation and Customs (TAXUD) in Brussels.
Gabriel is actively involved in Ready Nation Ro, a Romanian NGO supported by Ready Nation US, which aims to determine a large number of Romanian business leaders to actively engage in creating public policies impacting the early education, such as the newly introduced fiscal credit for nurseries and kindergartens.
Gabriel is the author of two books about tax: “Despre Fiscalitate şi Competitivitate” (About Tax and Competitiveness) and “Despre Fiscalitate şi Bun Simţ” (About Tax and Common Sense), both published in 2012. Gabriel is the co-author of “Controverse în fiscalitate” (Tax Controversies) published in 2011.
The last fifteen editions of Chambers Europe confirm his reputation, ranking him as “highly recommended”.
- The 2021 edition of Chambers Europe notes that the “excellent” Gabriel Biriș is a pre-eminent market player who offers a wealth of experience in a broad range of matters from direct and indirect tax litigation to transfer pricing matters. He also has notable experience advising on the tax aspects of corporate restructurings.
- The 2020 edition of Chambers Europe notes that Gabriel Biriș is a well-reputed market figure who is highlighted by clients for representing them against the tax authorities in court trials. Regularly advises on complex tax disputes, concerning transfer pricing and income tax matters. He has considerable experience representing both domestic and international clients in contentious tax matters.
- The 2019 edition of Chambers Europe notes that Gabriel Biriș is a distinguished tax practitioner who often represents clients in tax disputes. He also advises on VAT and transfer pricing. Clients describe Biriș as being “very knowledgeable, innovative and solution-oriented,” and additionally highlight his “poised and determined” delivery.
- The 2018 edition of Chambers Europe notes that Gabriel Biriș is an experienced litigator, representing clients in VAT disputes in particular. He also regularly advises on non-contentious taxation mandates, and is described by clients as “an excellent leader.”
- The 2017 edition of Chambers Europe notes that “Gabriel Biriș is widely considered an outstanding tax litigation expert. Peers describe him as “the most famous tax lawyer in Romania” and note his recent high-profile role working within the Romanian government. Interviewees also highlight his ability to give creative solutions and say that “his clients appreciate him very much because he is very courageous.”
- The 2016 edition of Chambers Europe notes that Gabriel Biriș comes highly recommended as a prominent player in the Romanian tax field. Sources describe him as “one of the best in the market” for a wide range of contentious, transactional and advisory matters. Lately, this included assisting Hidroelectrica with a complex tax litigation case.
- The 2015 edition of Chambers Europe notes that Gabriel Biriș remains a leading figure in Romanian tax, with almost two decades of experience in the field. His expertise spans all manner of tax issues, including onshore and offshore optimum tax structures, compliance, tax controls and litigation.
- The 2014 edition of Chambers Europe notes that “the eminent” Gabriel Biriș is a household name in the Romanian tax market. He has a well-established practice and sources describe him as “a great tax attorney who is notable and visible.”
- The 2013 edition of Chambers Europe notes that Head of practice Gabriel Biriș receives praise from clients for his “excellent tax advice” and is recognized by peers as one of the expert practitioners in this area.
- The 2012 edition of Chambers Europe notes that Practice head Gabriel Biriș is a high-profile figure in the field and an accomplished relationship manager, who is recognized as one of the few specialists in tax law in the Romanian market. “He’s one of the best, and extremely creative,” sources say.
- The 2011 edition of Chambers Europe notes that Gabriel Biriș is described by clients as “the authority on tax issues in Romania,” and peers note that there are few in the market with his degree of specialism. Competitors comment that he has a “deep understanding of the Romanian legal framework and the complicated structural changes.”
- The 2010 edition of Chambers Europe notes that Gabriel Biriș is identified as the leading name at the firm and recognized for his deep commitment to tax matters. Sources say he manages to ‘combine creativity with grounded and practical advice‘.
- The 2009 edition of Chambers Europe notes that universally acclaimed as the market leader, Gabriel Biriș is saluted by peers for being ‘almost single-handedly responsible for all the standard documentation in the field’. Clients note that his performance matches his formidable reputation. Moreover, he has built a tremendous practice of real depth around his own strong credentials.
- The 2008 edition of Chambers Europe notes that Gabriel Biriș is the undisputed leader in the tax field, with peers describing him as ‘the biggest tax expert in Romania‘ and clients praising his ‘impressive and effortless knowledge of tax law, friendly demeanor and reliability‘. His previous work in the tax department of a major company has undoubtedly given him a competitive edge in the market, as clients value his practical experience.
- The 2021 edition of Legal 500 notes that Leading Individual Gabriel Biriș is the one that leads the contentious side, and regularly assists clients on precedent-setting direct and indirect tax disputes with the authorities.
- The 2020 edition of Legal 500 notes that Leading Individual Gabriel Biriș has considerable experience handling tax-related contentious matters and was previously Secretary of State in the Romanian Ministry of Finance in charge of tax legislation.
- The 2019 edition of Legal 500 notes that Leading Individual Gabriel Biriș heads the practice with Ruxandra Jianu, and acted for Banca Comercială Română in its large tax audit relating to financial transactions.
- Founder, Biriș Goran (April 2006 – Present)
- Secretary of State, Romanian Ministry of Finance (December 2015 – September 2016)
- Counsel, Salans Bucharest (2005 – March 2006)
- Partner, Head of Taxation Services, Haarman Hemmelrath Romania (July 2002 – 2004)
- Senior Manager, Head of Taxation Services, Haarmann Hemmelrath Romania (December 1998 – June 2002)
- Tax Consultant, Coopers & Lybrand Romania (March 1995 – November 1998)
- Romanian-American University, Faculty of Law (Law Degree, 2000)
- Technical University of Bucharest, Faculty of Electronics and Telecommunications (Engineering Degree,1995)