Anca Iulia Zegrean
Anca joined BirișGoran in 2012 and has over 14 years of experience in a wealth of labor and employment matters, as well as litigation and civil matters, being promoted as Head of the Employment and Labour department in 2016. She is recognized and appreciated both by clients and professionals for her high-level assistance in a wide range of labor law matters, with particular accent in related tax litigation and senior management dismissals.
She has significant experience in employment matters arising out of transfer of undertakings in diverse industries such as financial sector, industrial engineering, services and energy.
Anca also has an excellent track record in collective dismissals and negotiations between employers and employees, as well as regulatory and compliance issues. She performs due diligence analysis for large acquisitions, with a focus on compliance/regulatory issues.
Anca advises international and domestic companies in a variety of sectors including banking, telecom, real estate, energy, defence, agribusiness, and information technology.
Before joining BirișGoran, Anca worked as a senior lawyer with another law firm, where she was a member of the Litigation Department, providing counseling and legal representation before Romanian Courts of Justice, as well as before domestic Courts of Arbitration.
Outside the office, Anca devotes considerable time to charitable initiatives, as she set up an NGO devoted to help gifted children living in orphanages and poverty-stricken families. Most notable actions are the yearly Christmas and Easter fund raising campaigns whereby lots of goods are collected and delivered to children in need, as well as Charity Fairs where local artisans sell their handmade products and donate the money for books and other educational materials.
- Successfully assisted and counseled a major banking group with the transfer of employees under Council Directive 2001/23/EC within a process of merger;
- Assistance on fiscal employment optimization (including secondment arrangements) for several significant temporary employment agencies;
- Assistance in a VAT related case in a preliminary reference to the Court of Justice of the European Union, where the ruling affected the VAT taxation on all domestic transactions;
- Advising numerous Firm clients on tax litigations in various forms;
- Advising numerous Firm clients on labor matters such as unfair dismissal, disciplinary action and breach of contract, unlawful termination, Labor Code compliance issues, non-compete clauses, and related matters, both on and off courts of justice.
- Senior Associate, Mircea & Partners (February 2010 – September 2012)
- Paralegal and Junior Lawyer, Mircea & Partners (October 2008 – February 2010)
- Aide to Member of Parliament (September 2005 – October 2006)
- Romanian-American University, Faculty of Law, Bucharest (Law Degree, 2008)
- Bucharest University of Economic Studies, Faculty of Environment Economy (Economics Degree, 2007)