A founding partner of BirișGoran, Gelu is one of the top antitrust practitioners in Romania, acting primarily in the areas of competition and antitrust law as well as mergers and acquisitions for more than 25 years. He is regularly called upon by leading multinationals in Romania to handle major merger control applications, to assist during cartel or dominance investigations and to manage their antitrust compliance programs in areas such as banking, retail, construction pharmaceutical & energy.
In addition to competition law, Gelu focuses on mergers & acquisitions.
His experience covers a large range of industries and business sectors, including fast moving consumer goods, construction materials, banking, tobacco, pharmaceuticals and breweries. Gelu currently represents JT International, Nestlé, Procter & Gamble, UniCredit Bank, Holcim, Siemens and Weatherford on competition law investigations and compliance matters and has acted as lead attorney on competition matters on behalf of clients such as SABMiller, Heidelberg Cement, Wrigley, Pfizer and Gillette.
Prior to this, Gelu worked in the Bucharest offices of US law firm Altheimer & Gray and Salans from 1999 to 2006. Before that, he worked at the Romanian Competition Council, where he investigated mergers and acquisitions, evaluated potentially illegal agreements and abusive business practices. A Fulbright Scholar, he is admitted to both the New York and Bucharest Bar Associations and is the president of Romanian Association of Fulbright Alumni.
Gelu has published extensively in prestigious publications, including The Global Competition Review and The International Business Lawyer.
Outside the office, Gelu enjoys indie movies, competing in triathlon events and practicing water sports.
- The 2021 edition of Chambers Europe notes that Gelu Goran has a broad contentious competition law practice, representing clients in antitrust investigations, market inquiries and follow-on damages claims. A client highlights his “down-to-earth approach“, and adds that Gelu is “very close to the business, so has an excellent understanding of the client.”
- The 2020 edition of Chambers Europe notes that clients praise Gelu Goran‘s “extensive experience,” lauding him for being “always very prompt, flexible and reliable.” He is often involved in cross-border competition mandates in collaboration with international law firms.
- The 2019 edition of Chambers Europe notes that Gelu Goran is recognized for his handling of behavioral investigations. “He has a lot of experience with the Competition Council and handles cases very calmly,” confirms one client. Sources also appreciate his business acumen, explaining: “His knowledge of our business allows him to concentrate on giving hands-on and practical advice.”
- The 2018 edition of Chambers Europe notes that Gelu Goran of Biriș Goran often works for clients on litigious mandates, compliance issues and competition authority investigations into price fixing. He advises companies from a range of industries, including FMCG, energy, and construction. Clients say that “Gelu has a wealth of knowledge and experience in competition and antitrust law; he has a very good understanding of our business and the market we are active on. He is very reliable and available, and he gives clear and pragmatic advice.”
- The 2017 edition of Chambers Europe notes that Gelu Goran often assists with horizontal and vertical price-fixing investigations and compliance audits for a wide range of clients from sectors such as banking, FMCG, construction and energy. Sources admire his “technical knowledge, solution-driven approach, very good understanding of the client’s business and flexibility.”
- The 2016 edition of Chambers Europe notes that founding partner Gelu Goran draws praise from clients for being “an extremely talented lawyer, capable of understanding business implications and providing solutions within the legal framework.” He is appreciated for his advice to a variety of clients across competition issues, particularly cartel investigations and compliance issues. In recent highlights, he continued to advise Ameropa Grains on a long-term cartel investigation for alleged price fixing.
- The 2015 edition of Chambers Europe notes that, according to interviewees, Gelu Goran has “an impressive record in competition law, and very good experience in the area.” He has focused experience of abuse of dominance matters, including advising on pricing for dominant companies, as well as cartel investigations, antitrust audits and compliance programmes.
- The 2014 edition of Chambers Europe notes that clients praise Gelu Goran as a “seasoned practitioner in competition matters.”
- The 2013 edition of Chambers Europe notes that Practice head Gelu Goran is described by one client as “an excellent lawyer and a skilled professional with an excellent command of case law and legislation.”
- The 2012 edition of Chambers Europe notes that “Flexible and pragmatic” practice leader Gelu Goran is a respected practitioner whose practice centres on merger control, anti-cartel proceedings and antitrust proceedings.
- The 2011 edition of Chambers Europe notes that Practice head Gelu Goran has a formidable market reputation and is considered by clients to be a “first port of call for competition questions.”
- The 2010 edition of Chambers Europe notes the well-known Gelu Goran is the leading name at the practice and counts UniCredit, Siemens and JT International among his clients.
- The 2009 edition of Chambers Europe notes that Gelu Goran of Biriș Goran is renowned for his remarkable expertise and experience in this area. ‘He has been doing this since the beginning and remains a very impressive practitioner,’ sources agree. He advises a number of international entities and a plethora of household names.
- The 2008 edition of Chambers Europe notes that Gelu Goran, of Biriș Goran, is ‘thorough, client-oriented and an excellent communicator’ with over ten years of experience. He undertakes a great deal of compliance and auditing work for multinationals. Clients include Procter & Gamble, Holcim and Siemens. He has been admitted to the New York Bar and is held in high esteem by peers.
- The 2021 edition of Legal 500 notes that Leading Individual Gelu Goran is a well-regarded and experienced practice head, clients praising them as ‘an excellent and responsive competition lawyer.’
- The 2020 edition of Legal 500 notes that Gelu Goran leads the highly experienced team, which has strong depth and experience, with Radu Jianu among those attracting praise
- Counsel, Salans, Bucharest (2006)
- Associate, Altheimer & Gray/Salans, Bucharest (1999 – 2005)
- Inspector, Romanian Competition Council (1997 – 1999)
- Northwestern University School of Law, Fulbright Scholar (LL.M. with honors, 2003)
- University of Bucharest, Faculty of Law (Law Degree, 1997)