Mihai has 19 years’ industry experience across the full spectrum of litigation matters, with special focus on tax, administrative, competition, commercial, white-collar crime matters, including arbitration. He is known for his innovative approach, especially in tax litigation files. Mihai joined BirisGoran in 2009 and was promoted to Head of the Litigation Practice in May 2012, in 2014 to Non-Equity Partner and early in 2018 to Equity Partner.
Mihai is a prolific and veteran litigator, whose practical yet creative approach helps clients not only solve the matters at hand, but who finds time to contribute to law updates and advocacy for a better legal framework, as well as clarity and consistency in its enforcement. Mihai acted as a regular visiting speaker for his Alma Mater – University of Craiova.
Key Clients: Publicis Groupe, Farmec, Viessmann, Oriflame), Policolor, Engie Romania, Impuls Leasing, PALMED, The Family Butchers (former Reinert), CT Park group of companies, Liebrecht and wooD, Banca Comercială Română (member of Erste Group), Stratum, Distribuție Energie Electrică România SA (former Electrica Muntenia Nord), OTP Bank, MHS Truck and Bus, Immofinanz, Adampriv, UniCredit, Rossmann.
Industry sector expertise: banking, telecom, FMCG, energy/oil & gas, cosmetics, finance, environment, construction, gambling.
- Successfully represented Impuls Leasing Romania in a tax dispute where the High Court of Cassation ordered the General Administration of Large Taxpayers to pay our client record compensations of approximately 1.7 million EUR for mismanagement of VAT reimbursements. The decision is definitive.
- Assisting Banca Comercială Română, a member of Erste Group, in the biggest tax dispute pending in the Romania’s market;
- Successfully represented Farmec, the largest cosmetics manufacturer in Romania, in a complex tax litigation case triggered by a tax decision issued by the tax authorities. Recently, our team obtained the annulment of a taxation decision of approximately EUR 15 million and the decision is definitive;
- Successfully represented Donalam, local subsidiary of AFV Beltrame Group, leading European manufacturer of merchant bars and special profiles for construction, shipbuilding and excavation, in a tax dispute and obtained the largest compensation amounts asked to the Romanian tax authorities.
- Partner, Biris Goran SPARL (2014 – present)
- Senior Associate, Biris Goran SCPA (2009 – 2013)
- Co-founding Partner, Mircea & Asociatii (2006 – 2008)
- Founder, Mihai Nusca Law Office
- University of Craiova, Faculty of Law (Law Degree, 2002)